Thai Papaya Salad
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 to 5 pcs red bird’s eye chillies
- 5 pcs garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons palm sugar
- ½ bunch sitaw, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Pantai Thai fish sauce
- 1⁄2 medium green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- Coarsely pound the chillies and garlic together using a pestle and mortar. Add the palm sugar, beans and tomatoes. Lightly pound to combine, then squeeze in the lime juice and fish sauce.
- Lightly pound again, then add the green papaya and carrot. Pound again and toss to combine. The taste should be sweet and salty with a sharp, sour and spicy tang.
- Serve the salad in a bowl and sprinkle over the dried shrimp and toasted peanuts.