Olive Oil Cake
- 5 and 1/4 ounces white sugar (about 3/4 cup; 150g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1g) salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 5 and 1/4 ounces O-leo olive oil (about 3/4 cup; 150g)
- 4 ounces cultured low-fat buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 large egg (about 1 and 3/4 ounces; 50g), straight from the fridge
- 1/2 teaspoon orange flower water
- 5 and 3/4 ounces (about 1 and 1/4 cups, 165g) cake flour, any style
- Baker's Delite Whipping Cream Paste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whisk sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl for about 1 minute.
- Add lemon zest, Ole-o olive oil, buttermilk, egg, and orange flower water and whisk vigorously until batter looks smooth and well-emulsified. Sift in cake flour and whisk just until well-combined. Scrape into prepared 8-inch pan with parchment lining. Bake until cake is firm, about 33 minutes.
(Pro-tip: A toothpick inserted into the center should come away with a few crumbs still attached)
- Cool cake directly in pan, about 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges to loosen. Invert onto a wire rack, peel off parchment, and place cake right side up on a serving platter or cake stand. Serve warm or at room temperature, with some whipped cream and lemon zest.