Apple Walnut Crumble with Caramel Syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine seasalt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Fine sea salt
- 1 kg (about 6 pieces) Granny Smith, Gala, and/or Pink Lady apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Caramel Syrup to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- To make the topping, stir together flour, walnuts, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon zest, and salt until combined.
- Add apple slices and lemon juice, and toss until evenly coated
- In your desired heatproof dish, spoon apple filling into pie shell and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until the apples are tender and the topping is golden and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy warm or cold, topped with caramel syrup.